Healthy & Active Before 5 is proud to share some highlights of our work in 2018!
HAB45 continued to make healthy choices the default choices in community settings with the Pledge the Practice, Pass the Policy initiative. 4 Contra Costa agencies received mini-grants for healthy policies through HAB45â€™s Pledge the Practice, Pass the Policy Program, supporting healthier environments for more than 1,000 children and 5,000 adults:
- Food Bank of Contra Costa & Solano (Breastfeeding Support)
- East Bay Town Center Dental (Healthy Food & Beverage)
- Monument Impact (Deepening Implementation â€“ Healthy Food & Beverage)
- Concord Jr. Giants (Deepening Implementation â€“ Healthy Food & Beverage)
HAB45 worked to expand access to safe, high-quality parks and outdoor play in low-income communities.
- In Bay Point, HAB45 partnered with First 5 Contra Costa and the East County Regional Group to advocate for park improvements. Through presentations, public testimony, and individual meetings a total of 12 elected officials have been reached.
- In Richmond, HAB45 supported First 5 Contra Costa the West County Regional Group to conduct an assessment of 25 parks. Residents completed a total of 288 surveys. Data was analyzed by HAB45 staff and presented to stakeholders.
HAB45 engaged its Leadership Council to build capacity and maximize collective impact.
- 44 Leadership Council members attended the Spring convening to hear the latest research on the relationship between housing and health for young children and families, receive updates from local advocates, and brainstorm ideas for how to and connect with advocacy efforts to address the crisis.
- 37 Leadership Council members attended the Fall convening focused on why and how non-profits and service providers can engage in advocacy. Attendees honed their advocacy skills in breakout groups and 12 members completed the HAB45 Advocacy Pledge.
HAB45 represented the early childhood community in broader efforts that impact families and advanced its Public Policy Agenda.
- Served on the early childhood subcommittee for Contra Costa Health Services oral health strategic planning
- Attended events related to the housing crisis impacting Contra Costa families
- Submitted letters in support of policies related to park improvements, sugary drinks, lactation accommodation, tenant protections, and protecting immigrantsâ€™ access to social services
Thank you to our funders and community partners for making these achievements possible!