Our Model Policies
Our HAB45 Pledge the Practice, Pass the Policy initiative is comprised of 6 sample policies. These model policies are a free tool available to you and your agency to help you get started with healthy policy change. To see how other organizations have adapted our model policies, check out our Policy Library.
- Healthy Beverage Policy: Cut out serving sugary drinks and juice to children, families, and staff at your organization’s events, meetings, and celebrations.
- Healthy Food & Beverage Policy: Serve healthy foods and beverages at all organization meetings, events, and fundraisers. This means serving fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and whole grains to clients (both children and adults) and your staff. Collaborators, contractors, and grantees are also encouraged or required to follow your new Healthy Food & Beverage Policy.
- Breastfeeding Accommodation Policy: Expand on the California law that requires employers provide break time and a clean, private space for breastfeeding employees to breastfeed or pump milk. Go above and beyond to create a supportive environment for breastfeeding women in the workplace. Start with information and outreach to employees before they start maternity leave.
- Movement and Play Policy: Promote an organizational environment that supports movement and active play. Adopt policies that support families and clients with children to be active at your agency and support employees who want to be more physically active.
- Tap Water Promotion Policy: Provide tap water to young children to inexpensively promote health, help prevent early childhood obesity, and support a healthy planet. Go a step farther than providing healthy beverages, by having a policy that specifically supports serving tap water.
- Reducing Marketing of Unhealthy Foods & Beverages to Children Policy: Create an environment at your organization that reduces childhood exposure to unhealthy food and beverage marketing by reducing screen time and removing unhealthy food and beverage advertisements from your organization.