It was a busy and productive year for Healthy & Active Before 5. Take a look at some of our latest accomplishments:
1. We inspired 11 Contra Costa organizations to pass healthy policies:
Congratulations to all the organizations that passed healthy policies this year. Thank you for sharing our vision and continually supporting our efforts to create healthier communities. Take a look at our Policy Library to see the full list organizations that have passed healthy policies, including links to the policies they’ve passed.
2. We distributed nearly 3,000 maps to childcare providers in the Contra Costa County.
With assistance from Child Care Council nutrition staff, we distributed Pittsburg, Antioch, and Bay Point Plan to Play brochures to childcare providers and low-income families across East County. The maps highlight parent approved parks and provide important information about park locations and park features.
3. We achieved our goal to train 20 promotoras in the Monument Community in breastfeeding peer-support.
HAB45 provided a training series for Spanish-speaking community health advocates or promotoras on providing peer-counseling to breastfeeding mothers, primarily in Concord’s Monument neighborhood. These promotoras are now trained and ready to make a difference within the Contra Costa County community.
4. We evaluated 60 parks and playspaces in East Contra Costa County, in partnership with East County Regional Group (ECRG) sponsored by First 5 Contra Costa.
5. We shared information, ideas, and resources on preventing childhood obesity with over 50 Contra Costa agencies.
We successfully convened 2 Leadership Council meetings that took place in September 2013 and April 2014. At the September 2013 meeting, we highlighted the “Sugar Bites” campaign and debuted two new healthy sample policies: Tap Water Promotion and Reducing Unhealthy Marketing. At the April 2014, we provided a training on advocacy and lobbying rules for non-profits, presented by Alliance for Justice. We also introduced HAB45’s public policy agenda, and celebrated 6 organizations new healthy policies.
6. We developed 2 new model worksite policies: Tap Water Promotion and Reducing Unhealthy Marketing to Kids.
Providing tap water to young children is an environmentally friendly way to promote health and help prevent early childhood obesity. We believe children have a right to a healthy childhood, free from marketing of unhealthy foods and beverages. Organizations can ensure all children have a healthy start in life by adopting practices and policies that reduce marketing to children.
We are looking forward to this year’s endeavors, so stay tuned for updates!